Sunday, October 21, 2012

5th grade is the bomb

To say this an overdue post is an understatement. I'm not sure how these other teachers keep up with their blogs because even as a student teacher, I am consumed with the day at school. Maybe after I get into a routine it'll be easier (wishful thinking?!).
So anyway, 5th grade is awesome! Previously, I thought 5th grade would be too old for me. I figured they would be starting with the attitudes and honestly I was a little intimidated by the curricula. However, this was the best group of kids I could have asked for. I got so attached - bad sign I think! It was already super hard to leave them. I received many sweet cards and drawings - a couple of them claiming third grade didn't want me so I should stay. haha. I learned so much about teaching in these past 10 weeks and feel increasingly more confident about teaching on my own. I actually really enjoyed the curricula too and think I could handle it. My two week project I did with them was a version of the Paper Bag Character Project which I found here:
Rundes Room paper-bag-characterization
It was insane teaching them from the beginning of the unit, working together to choose books for them, supporting them through the project, and then watching them present their final products! I was really impressed how into the project some of the students got, dressing up and rehearsing their presentations.
I probably can't talk about all of the significant things that have happened during student teaching these past 10 weeks in one post. I do want to mention how incredible the staff that I worked with is. Seriously, I think I saw the administration more in that time than I ever saw my own principals. Shocker, I know, I did not make many trips to their offices. But these people are everywhere all the time, checking in on students, simply curious about the learning that is happening, joining in on meetings, everything. The women I work with are also the most hilarious, intelligent, and passionate group. I don't know how I got so lucky.
I can't wait to start 3rd grade tomorrow! I promise I won't take this long next time to check-in....famous last words...but seriously!

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting!! I'm so happy for you and extremely excited for your next journey in 3rd grade! Makes me anxious to start my own! Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete